Your basket is currently empty!
When creating the best dietary plan for you, it is important to be mindful of the specific types of food you include. Consuming healthy calories along with regular exercise can help build lean muscle mass, which in turn is more effective at burning fat and resulting in long-term weight loss.
Additionally, whatever foods you decide to feed your body ought to be ones you enjoy! If you can’t stomach certain flavours, chances are you won’t keep eating them, no matter how healthy they are.
Not All Calories are Created Equal
With these general guidelines in mind for finding the best foods for weight loss, there are proven food categories that should be included in any dietary plan. Within each group, you have the flexibility to find the specific foods that most appeal to you.
- Excellent at filling you up and maintaining that feeling of satiety for long periods.
- Helps build lean muscle mass, boosting overall metabolism.
- Reduces secretion of the hormone ghrelin, minimising feelings of hunger.
- Slows down digestion and elevation of glucose levels, which results in a reduced release of insulin, a fat-storage hormone.
- Signals the body to reduce caloric intake, inhibiting overeating.
- Supports beneficial intestinal bacteria, improving gut health.
Weight Loss-Friendly Foods
Some commonly recommended foods that fall within the above categories of best foods for weight loss are the following:
- Chicken, turkey, and grass-fed lean beef – all good sources of lean protein.
- Legumes, beans and lentils – plant-based proteins that also deliver fibre.
- Eggs – a complete source of protein, along with all but one essential daily vitamin (C).
- Cruciferous vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are excellent sources of fibre.
- Dark green leafy vegetables – high in vitamins and minerals and also contain protein.
- Avocados – a healthy fat, high in fibre.
- Apples & Berries – good sources of vitamin C, fibre and antioxidants.
- Nuts – provide protein, fibre and healthy fat.
- Seeds – good mineral and a healthy fat source; Chia seeds are high in fibre and a natural appetite suppressant.
- Salmon – high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Unripe Bananas – rich in potassium as well as satiating starch.
- Whole Grains, such as Raw Oats – loaded with fibre and a source of starch that resists digestion, aiding in fat reduction.
- Sauerkraut – full of fibre and beneficial to gut bacteria.
- Cottage Cheese – high-protein and high-calcium dairy
- Chilli pepper – contains capsaicin which can increase metabolism.
What to be Wary of
With such a long list of some of the best foods for weight loss, it may seem easy to plan a diet that will allow you to meet your goal. Indeed, sticking solely to the food groups above will help ensure a reduction in your overall weight. But we all know that there are many other enticing options out there that do not belong in a weight loss plan.
In general, foods low in nutrients and fibre are digested quickly, making you hungry again sooner. Additionally, they can cause blood glucose levels to rise rapidly, releasing insulin into the system. Insulin is used to clear glucose from the bloodstream quickly, so these ingested calories are then redirected to fat cells instead of being burned off.
Well-documented products from Nupo
Knowing just how to combine the best foods for weight loss can be tricky and time-consuming. If you are looking for a little extra help to ensure you hit your body’s essential protein and fibre targets while keeping caloric intake to a minimum to ensure weight loss, try some of the well-documented Nupo products.
Nupo One Meals are protein and fibre-rich meal replacements full of all the essential daily vitamins and minerals, all in approximately 200 calories. Similarly, Nupo Protein Bite is a healthy snack to be enjoyed between meals that add protein to your diet while ensuring you don’t exceed your daily caloric intake.